Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Breakfast smoothies

Since I no longer drink milk, what to eat for breakfast used to be my biggest question. In my pre-primal days I usually had coffee with toast or cereal in a cup with cold milk (Honey bunches of oats, almond was my favorite). I am always on a tight schedule (read late) in the mornings so I was looking for an easy and quick recipe. I now eat a varied breakfast (I will soon post other recipes) and smoothies are my favorite, not to mention that they can be prepared in no time. The recipes are in part inspired by Todally Primal Smoothies and the Fat Bomb Smoothie. I make these depending on the ingredients I have at hand. Both recipes are coconut milk based, coconut milk is full of saturated fat and medium chain triglycerides which are burned as fuel by the body. The first one is  a chocolate-berry based smoothie, remember both chocolate and berries are full of good antioxidants. And the second one contains almond butter which is again a good source of protein and fat.

Choco-berry smoothie
makes 1 serving
Ingredients:
1/4 cup blue berries
2-3 strawberries halved
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1-2 tsp raw local honey
1 cup full fat coconut milk
4-5 cubes of ice (optional)

Blend all the ingredients together in a  blender till smooth and serve in a tall glass, tada!!


Almond banana Smoothie
makes 1 serving
Ingredients:
2 Tbsp almond butter
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 banana 
1-2 tsp raw local honey
3/4th cup full fat coconut milk
 4-5 cubes of ice (optional)

 Blend all the ingredients together in a  blender till smooth and serve in a tall glass.

You can make innumerable combinations of smoothies depending on what you have. They are quick to make and will keep you full until lunch time. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment